Feasts and Family
Posted on 22 November 2016
Thanksgiving is a toss up between College Football Kickoff for our favorite holiday of the year. While we love all of other respective holidays of the calendar year (looking at you Arbor Day) something about Thanksgiving really warms our heart.
Waking up in the Olly Oxen Parents home on Thanksgiving morning is amazing. Of course, our Momma is the best cook in all the world. As we trot down the stairs in our prime feasting outfit (the loosest fitting pants + softest tee) we're all already thinking about our favorite dish. Our native Louisiana root always call for a fried turkey on the table and maybe a pecan pie if there's enough room in the elastic of our pants.
Get in line y'all, the food is ready! (All recipes listed below)
Cameron, is likely to ninja chop you if you take his extra spoonful of Beyer's Stuffing.
Charlotte, will shoot daggers out of her side eyes if you jump her in line at the Spinach Madeline. *The most delicious creamy spinach dish on the planet*
Hunter, has already changed outfits three times to ensure optimal comfort for eating, is headed straight for the Cranberry Relish (homemade cranberry sauce). He is likely to trip you if you try to pass him in line- careful!
While we truly do love all of the food our favorite family tradition is when we claim our real estate on the couches and pop in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, to get into the true holiday spirit.
For more ideas and recipes we love check out our Pinterest boards (because we like to eat too).. Be sure to also visit the newest section of our website! Sale (for all of the latest mark downs on your favorite Olly Oxen products)!!
- 10 slices of white bread, 1 yellow onion, 8 Tbs butter, 4 Tbs lemon juice, 1/4 C water, 3 celery stalks, 3/4 C chopped pecan, 2 Tbs Tony Chacherie's Cajun Seasoning.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Toast bread and cut into 1in squares. Chop celery & onion. Melt bottle and toss all ingredients together, pour into a baking dish. Bake 45 minutes.
- 2 packs frozen chopped spinach, 4 Tbs butter, 2 Tbs flour, 2 Tbs chopped onion, 1/2 C evaporated milk, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 3/4 tsp garlic salt, 1/2 tsp salt, 6 oz jalepeno cheese, 1/2 tsp worchestshire sauce, cayenne to taste.
- Cook, drain spinach (save 1/2 C liquid from cooking). Melt butter in sauce, add flour oil smooth, cook onions until soft. Add liquid, stir and cook until smooth and thick. Add cheese and seasoning. Combine cooked spinach, top with buttered breadcrumbs.
- 2 C cranberries, 1 C brown sugar, 1/2 c seedless raisins, 1/4 c orange juice, 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel, 1Tbs lemon juice, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp all spice, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 c broken walnuts.
- Put all ingredients in food processor until grated roughly.